Creative Consultant

 Since earning my doctorate just over four months ago, I have heard different versions of the same question: So, what are you going to do with it? 

It took me some time to craft a halfway intelligent response on demand. I felt the implied pressure that I was supposed to suddenly advance in my profession, and while that may have happened for some people, it has not happened for me, and spoiler alert, I don't want it to advance my profession. Even before being called "Doctor" the first time, I was looking for work on higheredjobs.com and through the human resources at the three colleges I've worked at that still exist. I applied for one position each at the three colleges and did not even land an interview. I would read the minimum requirements for other positions and be discouraged. I had the 'wrong kind' of experience. Yes, I know you should still apply if you feel you could do the job, but that wasn't the takeaway of the most recent job search. What I finally allowed myself to accept was that a standard administrative role within an educational institution is not my path. Period. Scene. 

I did not earn my degree and declare myself done with my teaching career. I taught four public speaking sections online over the summer and I have three sections this semester. I did draw the line at teaching English classes. One day, when I am past that trauma, I may write why, but not today. Okay, that's not completely accurate. I did write about it. A section of my dissertation covered exactly why I no longer want to teach English; I did most of the work, and there was little collaboration in my set-up. I tried to establish a workshop atmosphere in my classes and hit walls every time. What I always desired from teaching English classes never came for me. However, I have found closer collaboration in public speaking classes.

In a recent announcement/email to my students, I reinforced how I lead my classes in the same fashion I was trained in acting. I limit the amount of actual assignment requirements because I want them to adopt a routine of contemplating/writing their speech, rehearsing or practicing their speech, and then beginning to record their speech. I encourage them recording takes, watching them with the rubric I supplied, and re-recording their speech, ultimately sending me the best take. This happens with some students. This does not happen with some. While I enjoy the benefit of interacting with their work from my apartment, this class really belongs in the classroom. There I can collaborate with students and learn the different ways they use their voice and body and coach them in real time. I miss the in-person speech classes and have opened my availability to include in-person classes for the spring. Between today and earlier submissions, two recent colleges know my interest in speech and theater classes for the spring. 

Somewhere along the way of maintaining my online teaching and leading in-person theater classes for adults during this gap, I kept thinking about private coaching and consultancy. Throughout my years in education and theater, where I have really shone is working individually with students or actors. I find that work invigorating and meaningful. Working within academia is a form of creative consultancy. I have helped people find and shape their voice (written and verbal) in numerous ways. The beautiful thing about that work is that these students already have those stories within them. My job has always been to help them reveal their stories. 

One particular story is laying the foundation for an example of a creative collaboration. I am working with Dr. Gerardo Gauthier-Zayas on a long-term project. (He gave me permission to write about this.) He composed a reflection on a true event from earlier in his life in the form of a short story. He will be expanding upon the short story, and we are going to convert the entire product into a stage play. We are early in our process, and I am not going to say more about it now. But, I will say that I am quite excited to be working with him. My love for adaptation, experience in creating my own solo show, and passion for coaching people are all coming together in a mutually beneficial collaboration. 

I first worked with the now doctor when I helped him with proofreading for his dissertation. I was connected to him through a mutual friend who was once my work supervisor many moons ago. That same friend has also connected me to a new individual with whom I will be doing similar work. I consider that work creative consultancy as well. When I look at the totality of my life through a printed curriculum vitae, I see more clearly now that I have been doing this for most of my life. I just hadn't solidified the right phrase for it until recently. 

I cannot draw a clean line in the sand and say that this will be my main source of income. It may not be. I'm also not convinced I want it to be anyway. While most students claim they do not want to be in a public speaking class, higher education as an institution provides me the infrastructure to do what I love. The same could be said if I get to return to theater classes as well, although I imagine most of those students want to be put in that type of situation. I enjoy the mix of work I get to do. While job insecurity is a very real problem as an adjunct, I do enjoy that I have enough mental bandwidth to pursue creative collaboration, including working with actors on monologues. 

So, this is where I stand this chilly fall day. I feel good about what is happening. There's potential in the air. If you feel there's potential for us or someone you know benefiting from my experience and services, please refer to the attached sites for more information. Thank you for reading. Let's collaborate!

Matt Cogswell | directing

Matt Cogswell, Ed.D. | LinkedIn

Acting Coach Matt Cogswell | Facebook

Matt Cogswell, Creative Consultant - YouTube



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Due Credit Productions: A Job Search and Interview Skills Development Program

Where You Are Fitness: A Support Group for Health and Wellness

Designing Better Belonging: Creative Leadership for Supporting Adjunct Faculty